Homes England Board looking for Non-Executive Directors
Body: Homes England
Appointing Department: Department for Communities & Local Government
Skills required: Audit and Risk, Business / Commercial
Number of Vacancies: Up to 3
Remuneration: £24,984 per annum
Time Requirements: Maximum 3 days per month
Who are Homes England?
Homes England is a ‘non-departmental public body’ sponsored by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.
Homes England is an agile, commercial organisation that can collaborate in a unique way between Government and the public and private sectors. We’re unified by our determination to embrace this crucial opportunity to help solve one of the country’s most intractable domestic policy issues.
Just as the agency has built its capabilities and expertise to meet the challenges it was created to address new priorities have come to the fore – from design quality to net zero to the future of our towns and cities. It is paramount for the agency to show leadership and work collaboratively with industry and Whitehall to ensure homes and communities are built to address the challenges the country will face in the 21st Century.
Non-Executive Directors have corporate responsibility for ensuring that Homes England fulfils the overall aims and objectives set out in legislation as well as the mission and objectives it has been set by the Secretary of State. Non-Executive Directors also have responsibility for ensuring that Homes England complies with any statutory or administrative requirements for the use of public funds and assets. Non-Executive Directors responsibilities include:
- ensure that Homes England delivers its Strategic Objectives within the policy and resources parameters set by the Secretary of State;
- hold the Chief Executive to account for the effective and efficient delivery of the strategic and annual business plans and for the day-to-day management, delivery and performance of Homes England;
- ensure that effective arrangements are in place to provide assurance to the Board and MHCLG on risk management, governance and internal control;
- ensure that any statutory or administrative requirements for the use of public funds are complied with; that the Board operates within the limits of its statutory authority and any delegated authority agreed with MHCLG, and in accordance with any other conditions relating to the use of public funds;
- approve Homes England’s Annual Report and Accounts;
- oversee production and retain oversight of Homes England’s Risk Appetite Statement and Risk Management Framework;
- set performance objectives and remuneration terms linked to these objectives for the Chief Executive, which give due weight to the proper management, use and utilisation of public resources;
- act as a champion for the work and role of Homes England at public events and meetings, taking on a specific champion role for priority topics as required and advise on the effective wider management of stakeholders.
We are looking for up to 3 candidates who have credibility and stature as a strategic leader – former Chairs, Chief Executive Officers, Group Finance Directors or equivalent senior level – in organisations of scale and complexity.
All candidates must demonstrate, in their CV and supporting letter, how they meet the selection criteria for the roles, through their knowledge, skills and experience.
- Prior non-executive experience is not a requisite, but you must bring a demonstrable record at a senior level, where there has been significant exposure to a non-executive board.
- An excellent understanding of governance particularly in relation to the role of the Board in overseeing the performance of organisations, and holding the executive to account for meeting its strategic objectives. You will have credibility and stature as a strategic leader in organisations of scale and complexity.
- Excellent commercial acumen and strong analytical skills, gained from leading organisations in these sectors.
- A passion and enthusiasm for working with Government in meeting the challenges of the housing market.
We are looking to appoint up to 3 posts. You must have experience in one of the following areas:
- Experience of leading in the housebuilding/developer sectors. You will have gained a strong understanding and experience of corporate governance as either Chair of an Audit Committee or as a Chief Financial Officer, or an equivalent role and level; OR
- Experience of the challenges involved in affordable housing and delivering the Government’s ambition to ‘level up’, gained from leading in either the local government or affordable housing sectors; OR
- Experience gained in a major construction company or major firm of engineers / project managers / consultants that support the construction sector.
For further details on the role and to apply click here.
Closing Date for applications: Thursday, 12 August 2021